Working Out Loud® is a registered trademark of Ikigai, LLC in the US and EU, with registrations pending in other countries.
The purpose of the trademarks is to ensure a level of consistency and quality for products and services related to the brand “Working Out Loud.” As Working Out Loud has spread to a wide range of companies and countries, that consistency is increasingly important for consumers (and that kind of “consumer protection” is why trademarks exist). Also, in many regions trademarks are subject to a "first to file" process, so registering the mark assures that I can continue using it.
The purpose is not to restrict people from talking about Working Out Loud (trademarks don’t create such limits anyway), or from using and sharing the WOL Circle Guides. On the contrary, the WOL Circle Guides have always been free and updated regularly, and I actively encourage individuals and companies to use them.
However, the trademark does prevent people from marketing or selling certain products, services, and training using the Working Out Loud® trademark, unless they have a license to do so.
What you can do:
- Present Working Out Loud in conference and events
- Practice Working Out Loud methods in your organization
- Help your organization adopt or practice Working Out Loud
- Blog or write about Working Out Loud
- Share and distribute (but not change) any materials I’ve released under a license that allows it - e.g., the free WOL Circle Guides, blog posts
When you do these things, please refer to workingoutloud.com so people know the source of the materials and can access more resources that can help them.
What you can’t do (without permission):
- Modify the free WOL Circle Guides. This material is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 International License. You can download and share it "as is." You can’t change it or offer it as part of any for-fee product or service without explicit written permission. For more information, including a customizable version of the Circle Guides for your organization, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use the Working Out Loud® brand to market or sell your own products, services, or training
- Market yourself as a provider of Working Out Loud® implementation, coaching, or support services
- Market and sell your own Working Out Loud® training or workshops
There is an upcoming pilot program that entitles licensed partners to offer certain Working Out Loud® services. It's an experiment I'm excited about, and will announce details soon.
Have any questions about this?
Contact me at email@example.com. I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have.